Go back to normal view
The Church of England has played an important role in education in Hendon for several centuries, and we continue to value our contact with our church school and other schools in our parish. In 1707 the Vicar, the Revd Meshach Smith, founded a charity school. Smith’s school is the ancestor of our parish school:
St Mary’s and St John’s Church of England School is in Prothero Gardens (Neale House), in Sunningfields Road (Bennett House), and in the Downage (Stamford Rafles Campus). Clergy from our parish and St John's, West Hendon, lead collective worship several times a week, there is a weekly school Eucharist at St Mary's, and the school comes to church throughout the year for worship for festivals.
For more information about our school, including admission policies, please go to their websites.
We also have links with other schools in the parish, including Sunnyfields Primary, Hendon Prep, Bell Lane Primary, and Hendon High School. Classes regularly come to St Mary’s or Christ Church to learn about the history of Hendon and its churches. If you would like to bring a class to look at the church please contact us.